May 23, 2020

Friday Funny 05-22/20 (Dinghy Doldrums)





Remember hearing, "we interrupt this regularly scheduled program, to bring you...."? I think it was usually a test of the emergency warning system, or a news broadcast.

I don't have anything quite so dramatic, but I did interrupted my cockpit enclosure project to get the dinghy chaps on. Bill took the dinghy off of the davits, and put it on the dock, he put on a couple of patches, cleaned it up, and applied a coat of 303 Protectant. I ran out of the binding I needed to continue with the port side bimini curtain, so ordered some more, and I moved on to the dinghy chaps project.


 

Patched, and clean. [20 year old Caribe Hypalon RIB]
Why not buy a cheaper PVC dinghy?


Last summer, we removed the original chaps, they had worn through, and reached the absolute end of their useful life. The previous owners had already patched them up multiple times. On a sunny day while we were docked at a state owned float in Swanson Harbor, I cut up the old chaps to make a pattern, and then cut out the new ones. I had some Tan Sunbrella left over, and I cut out the pieces. That was before we decided this spring to completely redo the boat in burgundy.


27 year old cover [20 years in the tropics...] Many patches, and very worn material.
It did its job well...

I had thought I would be done with this project by the time I wanted to publish this post, but alas, it's not to be. I still used the tan that was ready for sewing, and then I added in some burgundy pieces.

Partially done, with burgundy accents. [i.e., leftover scraps from other canvas projects...]

I'm working on the rub-rail chafe protection, then the outside hem with a drawcord, and then the inside hem with new snads, (snaps) from the chaps to the boat. (Is that all?) It's at least a couple of days work. Bills says, "now we need an outboard cover". [Actually, Bill said 'Now I suppose you're going to want to make a new matching outboard cover...'] There's always another project, another day.

I received new materials in the mail for the continuation of the bimini/dodger project, so now, I'm anxious to get back to that. 

Gus approves of the new color.

As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.






3 comments:

  1. And it is looking great BTW...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many projects in mind for such canvas work. If we swing by Wrangell maybe you can give me some tips on getting started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on by! We'll pull up that crab pot, and have dinner while we compare canvas notes. You can also test drive the "Sailrite, and I can show you how to spend money. :-)

      Delete

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]