August 31, 2021

Watching the bears

As we enter day two of three (maybe even four?) clear warm sunny days, we lay at anchor waiting for the thick blanket of fog to dissipate in the main channel.

We awoke to clear skies in our anchorage, with the cottony tongue of fog only two miles away- between us and the glaciers on the mainland.

We will depart Seymour Canal on the NE side of Admiralty Island today bound for Tracy Arm across the way as we continue our intentionally slow progress toward Juneau.

It is likely the grizzlies are also still there, harvesting salmon in preparation for their impending winter nap… We have seen many bears this past few weeks in most of our anchorages.

We know that soon these severe clear weather events won't be nearly as warm, so we are enjoying this while we can…

(Posted via satellite connection, so photos will have to wait…)

Our position when this was sent was:
--

July 16, 2021

Friday Funny 07-16/2021 (Hard at Work)

 

RUN!

It seems like we have been tied to the dock, and let the end of June, and the beginning of July slip through our fingers. In reality, we have been busy with boat projects, and we feel great about our progress. Do boat projects ever end you might ask, the simple answer, is "no".

We typically back into our slip, but this time, we went bow in, so that we could work on the different sides of the boat. Bill put new "eyebrows" over the ports on my side, so that we could open them, and not worry about the rain coming in. He also fixed the cracked one, so all is good on my side of the back cabin. 

Hard at work.


I sewed new bug screens, with no-see-um netting, and they easily snap on. Gus likes to sit on the shelf, and test for bug proofness.

Hard at work.


We have our Spade anchor as the main bower, and Bill put the Super Max on, as the backup, then he took it back off. It contributed to too much weight on the bow, so rethinking that is in progress.


I took advantage of some of the sunny weather to wash, and polish the starboard side of the boat. I used the dinghy to pull myself along, it's hard work pulling to keep yourself close to the boat, and pushing the rags to wash, and polish. I also cleaned the toerail, the stantions, and the stainless cable while I was there, get it all done at once. My arms got a work out! I got a sunburn, but it was worth it.

Those blue things on the side of my head are my earbuds, listening to music, or an audio book keeps me motivated.

Shiny, and clean.

Bill decided that he wanted a diesel drip stove in the pilothouse, to be able to see the warm flame on a cool evening. While the weather was good, with no chance of rain, he cut a hole in the pilothouse cabin top, for the stovepipe, 


Oh, what's another hole in the boat....


The stack top is installed, and now we can wait till later to finish the rest of the heater.

We had some pretty hot days, well, at least for us, this weather station sits in the sun, with the curtains closed behind it.


This is how Gus weathered the hot days.

Hard at work.

I decided to tackle changing the mizzen sail cover, and I had to eject the resident spiders that lived in it. UGH! I hate bugs. It's the burgundy color that matches the dodger, bimini, and weathercloths, now all that is left to redo, is the main sail cover, and all the major canvas will be done. There's still a few things on the, do later list, winch covers, seatback covers, compass cover, and windlass cover.


Gus contributes to the quality control of anti-chafe vinyl.

Hard at work.


The best project of all, we redid the majority of the deck non-skid. The prep of sanding, chiseling, applying epoxy in patches, more sanding, washing, and taping seemed to take forever. Our good friends from Petersburg, Jim, and Robin came to help, and we're SO GRATEFUL, we couldn't have gotten the job done without them. 



All prepped, and ready for tape.



Here goes.... we're hoping that we get at least 12 hours without rain.



Bill spread the Kiwigrip, and rolled it to the desired nonskid tread, I pulled tape as he progressed, since you're not supposed to let it dry before removing the tape.



Jim is helping with cleanup, and tape removal, meanwhile Robin is working in the cockpit.


We're very pleased with the results, we didn't get to the whole boat, and we didn't get to the trim paint, but we did get the most important parts painted with non-skid, the ones that would affect our safety. Now that we know the procedure, we can do additional painting at anchor, anywhere, whenever we have good weather to apply it.





Gus is always ready to supervise.

Hard at work.

As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.