April 22, 2022

Friday Funny 04-22/2022 (I Can See Clearly Now.. well not yet)

 

Do you think Gus is up for this? No, me neither.

I wrote last week about attending the diesel engine class in Olympia WA, and now I'm staying at my brother/sister-in-law's home, still in Washington. They have graciously extended their hospitality, with helping me to attend appointments, surgery, and post op. I found out I needed cataract surgery last March, when I had a routine eye exam. I thought I needed a stronger prescription for my contacts, and glasses, but the optometrist found the problem, and referred me to a cataract, and laser surgery clinic.


I've had my evaluation by the doctor at the clinic, and my surgery is scheduled for Monday, and Tuesday. They only do one eye at a time, so you can still see somewhat after each surgery. 

I had no idea about how all of this works, and I'm pleased to find out that they dissolve your cataract, and replace it with a lens in about 20 minutes. There are many lens choices, and you pick, based upon your needs, lifestyle, and pocketbook. The basic lens is covered by most insurances, and Medicare, but if you want an enhanced lens that would possibly eliminate the need for glasses, and contacts, the fee is a bit more, which is paid by the patient.

I chose a toric, far-sight lens, which will correct my astigmatism, and let me see distance. If I want to see up close, I will either use reading glasses, or as I used to do with my contacts, have one near contact lens in my left eye. The cost was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but if I chose the standard lens, or the non-toric lens, I would definitely need to wear glasses, or contacts in order to see both far, and near. 

I'll stay here for my one week post op appointment, and then return to Denali Rose. I need to have a 30 day followup, and I'll have to arrange that with the traveling optician, and whichever community I'm close to when they travel through SE Alaska. 

Bill, and Gus, meanwhile are out, and about enjoying SE sunshine, scenery, whales, and quiet anchorages. Rory has departed for home, so the two of them are on their own.




I can't wait to get home, and enjoy it with them. 💕


As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.

2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to your report after the surgery. It is something in our future as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had cataract surgery in both eyes. The Dr said sooner than later was better, even though one eye was hardly affected yet. I was near sited, and wore glasses forever. I ended up with one eye focusing far, and one eye focusing at arms length. Took me a while to learn to read with one eye, but what a sense of freedom not to have to wear glasses on the boat any longer. And no longer a need to wear glasses when driving. Also had to have the YAG thing done after like 3 years. Very quick and easy. I still got prescription glasses for close up work, and got some prescription UVEX safety and sun glasses. Very happy how things turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]