April 10, 2021

Friday Funny 04-09/2021 (Ol' Man Winter)

 


Full disclosure, I'm going into full whine mode now. I can't believe how hard a grip ol' man winter has on us.  I was walking out to the car to go to my water aerobics class, here's what it was like.

The hill behind the marina parking lot.

I have auto-start on my car, and can start it from the boat to defrost the windshield.

The docks were slushy, and on the verge of freezing, and slick. I refuse to pull my winter boots back out of the closet, so I wore my XtraTuffs, they have great sticky tread, so no falling down. Just in case you don't know what an Xtratuff is, they look like this:

Salmon Sister design on the website.

These boots are fondly called the "Alaskan Sneaker", one year a friend who was visiting us, asked why everyone in Alaska was wearing the same brown boot. The only answer is "cuz". My April 2017 post has more information about boots. 

I grew up in Alaska, and I always wanted the ground to be snow free at the beginning of April for my birthday. Since moving to SE Alaska, the weather is more temperate than further north, and for the last 6 years I have had my wish. That's what makes this year a bit bizarre, with snow so late in the season. All of the Alaska facebook pages have residents posting photos of record snowfall, record low temperatures, memes, cartoons, and everyone whining about how we need spring to show up. My Facebook page keeps showing me "your memories", of blooming flowers at this time of year. The only thing blooming now is Cabin Fever!

Well, that's one answer.

As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]