May 3, 2019

Friday Funny 05-03/19 (I'm BOWing)

I like marshmellows, and chocolate, I could live without graham crackers. 


I signed up for a weekend of camp fun with an organization called BOW, stands for "Becoming an Outdoor Woman". 

"Becoming an Outdoors-Woman (BOW) are hands-on workshops that teach adults outdoor skills while building their confidence in their ability to get out and safely enjoy all that the outdoors has to offer. BOW helps women grow and become more confident by offering classes in an encouraging, supportive, and non-competitive learning environment." (From Alaska Department of Fish and Game)

(If you watch the short video on the ADFG website, you'll see a brown-hair gal in a grey ballcap, learning how to shoot a rifle, and cutting up an elk in field dressing. Guess who? 😁)

This event in Southeast Alaska, takes place at Echo Ranch which is 40miles north of Juneau. We meet in Juneau on Friday morning, they bus us out to the trailhead, and then its' a 2.5 mile hike into the camp.  We get to take 4 training classes over the next three days, I signed up for, Fish Filleting, Crabbing, Pickling and Smoking Salmon, and Intro to Deer Hunting. It's like summer camp, only for adults, and only for a weekend.



My friend Robin from Petersburg, and my friend Terie from Wrangell are going with me. We're going to have a wonderful time, except that there won't be any evening wine to sip while sitting around the campfire. We'll make up for it later. 



We probably won't have to worry much about bears, we have cabins, a restroom-shower house, dining hall, and many other buildings. The only "roughing it" part is no electricity in the cabins, so I won't be charging my Iphone, but with our extended Alaska daylight, we probably won't need much illumination from overhead lighting.

If you would like to attend a BOW, they have chapters all over the United States, just google to find out if there is one in your area. 

Bill will be "batching" it, and I won't be publishing a Friday Funny next week. I'll be busy learning some outdoor skills!



As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I read the blog post to the kids and now they want to do similar programs ! Too bad it will be such a fast trip through Alaska for us.

    Cheers,

    Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another time perhaps, I'm happy to share anything I learn while you are here.

      Delete

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]