January 11, 2020

Friday Funny 01-10/20 (Winter is Not Just Coming, It"s Here!)



It's not just me either, we're a hacking, blowing, achey duo. This means I have no ambition to write a post, I just want to watch Netflix, and drink hot liquids.

Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating with us, I have been out shoveling snow more days than I want to remember since the first of the month. My lungs are feeling better than Bill's, so I've kept our dock finger clean, and made sure the water hose, and power cord are free, and clear. I even dug out the car last Monday, but it's covered in snow again. The harbor staff clean the main docks with a 4-wheeler, and snowplow. Now NOAA has us in a "winter storm warning", with heavy snow from 6:00pm Thursday to 3:00pm Friday with up to 10 additional inches. When we have dug ourselves out of that, the temperatures are going to drop into the single digits, as low as 5degrees. WTH! I'm pretty sure I read a prognosticator's report about how we were supposed to have a mild winter. OH SO WRONG! I know, I'm whining, and you are a captive audience, so you can just click on the X and close the page if you'd like. See you next time.



All cleaned up, and ready for the next dump of snow.




One of days out shoveling I looked north, and this is what I saw:

Black clouds!

Then when I looked south this was the view:

Blue sky, and the sun setting.
Weird.

Here is the weather map Bill posted on our Facebook, Denali Rose Sailboat page.

Add caption

Bill rallied yesterday, and went shopping. He found that even though the barge comes in on Tuesday, most of the shelves were getting quite bare. Everyone here is stocking up, and preparing for winter storms, and the possibility that the next barge will be delayed. I'm doing my part today, getting all the laundry done, and going out to shovel snow as soon as there is a small break. Then I'll top up the water tanks, so we'll be ready.

The power went off this morning, in Wrangell, and Petersburg, which is on the next island north. The local power provider switched over to the diesel generators, from the hydroelectric feed, and got everyone back online. 


Icicles!

Bill helped our neighbor put in a new diesel heater on his boat, the heater appears to be working well, insulation, not so much. Most boats don't have much from the manufacturer, usually you have to put it in yourself.

So yes, Fairbanks, where we moved from, has been having sub -20/-30/-40's, and I'm glad to be out of that, but we're having our Alaskan winter challenges here also. 


As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]