November 9, 2018

Friday Funny 11-9/18 (Plants - Live or Die)

Plant Assassin 

That's me, when it comes to plants, I don't have a green thumb.

At the home we used to live in, I had a small flower garden, mostly perennials, so they would come back every spring on their own. I would also go to Home Depot/Lowes every year, and buy pansies, you can't hardly mess them up, even though they weren't perennial.  The rest of the yard was wild, and free, mostly fireweed, wild sitka roses, daisies, and bluebells. The only yard work I accomplished, was to pull out dandelions when they showed up, and picking rhubarb from a large self sufficient patch. 


That's Gus, hiding in the tall grass.

My Mom was the African Violet Queen, not to be confused with Kathrine Hepburn in the African Queen. 

 Mom

Katherine Hepburn


She had shelves, and shelves of violets, and they always flourished, bloomed, grew large, and quite obviously loved her, if a plant can love a human. Whenever I see an African Violet, it always brings my Mother to mind.

I've tried over the years to take care of African Violets, and have had no success. The Farmer's Almanac website calls them fusspots, and says they're easy to care for, if you care for them on their terms. That doesn't sound promising. 

This past summer, I managed to acquire two plants. I bought a very tiny African Violet at a community bazaar, and my friend Katherine gave me one. I was admiring the ones she had in her cafe window, and she made a special effort to make sure I got one.

The larger plant has bloomed twice since this summer!

They usually live on the nav table in the basket, lots of good light there.



That last photo is of the smaller plant, which has been growing well, and now has buds on it. I can't wait for it to bloom, and see what color the flowers will be. Maybe I can take care of plants after all?

Just a bit bizarre ....  don't you think it looks a little like Audrey ll from "Little Shop of Horrors"?


As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.


2 comments:

  1. So some boat neighbors were away for about a week and a half and they asked me to water their plants. Did I remember? No. I only realized the day before they were going to come back. They survived (barely). I just felt awful. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have a green thumb reputation around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to sort out Blogger to reply, all fixed now. Plants are often worse to take care of than pets are.

      Delete

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]