March 17, 2017

Friday Funny 03/17 (Retirement)

Happy St. Patricks Day!


Pow!

I had planned to write about retirement, but when I put the title on the draft post, I realized it was St. Patrick's Day, so I had to include that too.

I put my dollar in there.

Some of you saw the photo that Bill posted on Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat, of me holding up a Priority mail envelope. I had just gotten off of the phone with my Retirement Counselor, who had assisted me in completing the State of Alaska retirement and benefits paperwork. I gathered up all of the forms, and immediately drove to the Post Office to get it off to Juneau for processing. I should be official by May 01. I had resigned from my job three years ago when Bill retired, and I had been waiting for this day to arrive. It means that I have achieved that magic age.

Retired; Young at heart, slightly older in other places. 😁

The moment is captured.
Thank you everyone for the well-wishes!

I also left Alaska Airlines in 1999, after working for them for 23 years. I still need to wait until I am 62 to start to receive that retirement as well. Unless you're a pilot, the amount you get is quite minuscule, but I will be gaining my full "pass benefits" back. It's a good perk to have.


Are we having fun yet?


As long as it is extra sharp aged cheddar!

Along with retirement comes a bit of the "tightening of the belt". Since we have been living on Bill's retirement, it will seem like we have almost doubled our income. Spending Spree! No, not really, we intend on banking the other half.

All good, except that we need a drawing of a sailboat.

I found this shirt on Cafe Press, it does show a power boat, but if I really wanted one, I could have them make one with our sailboat on it.


And away we go!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations. We will be celebrating May retirements together. My last day at Boeing will be May 4th. Thanks Alaska Airlines for funding my pension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and congratulations to you too. I will toast to you on the 4th, great day for your last day. May the fourth be with you! (hahaha)

      Delete
  2. Congrats! I love the description of being young at heart and slightly old in other places :-) Having a travel pass sounds like a great perk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travel passes are a great way to travel, except that they are always stand-by. Those are airline employees you see hanging about at the last, waiting to see if they get a seat. I have continued my passes on Alaska Airlines, and when I officially retire, I will get back my benefits with other airlines as well.

      Delete

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]