➛ ➛ From our list of Stuff we have and use [and do...] in the right sidebar ➛ ➛
Following are the products we keep onboard. The selection comes from years of reading hints from others as well as buying just about everything available at one time or another.
We have reduced our inventory to the following few products that seem to work the best for us [and are economic, low toxicity and volatility (where possible), and readily available...]
We carry concentrates when available and cost-effective. [e.g., 1 Gallon of bleach concentrate makes up to 100 gallons of household bleach when diluted with water, but is very caustic if spilled... Likewise for vinegar and others as noted, below.]
A wise precaution is to read and download [you may not have internet access when you need the information...] all the Safety Data Sheets [SDS] about each product you keep onboard. It is useful when questions about the product arise, and in case there is an accident.
What are your favorite products? Please also leave a comment if you have used what we list below and have found something better, or have suggested additions.
––– Last Updated 17-Apr-2019 [by Bill] –––
Odor Control/ Removal
- PureAyre Marine Enzyme works great for eliminating odors including head, gasoline and diesel
- Medi-Aire Biological Odor Eliminator [Eliminates any odors of biological origin e.g., urine, vomit, smoke, etc.]
- Manufacturer's Info
- We prefer the unscented version.
- Pricing varies; Shop carefully.
- Borax or Calgon Water Softener for removing diesel fuel odors - works on clothes too
- White Vinegar [See Cleaning/Degreasing, below, for concentrate for diluting]
- Baking Soda
- 51 uses for baking soda [and there are many more...]
- The New Getting Rid of Boat Odors [By Peggy Hall. Highly recommended]
Cleaning/ Degreasing/ Stain Removal
- Super Clean [The best we have found so far for easily removing diesel exhaust stains (soot) from the hull... A great degreaser (think BBQ...) and nonskid cleaner; avoid breathing overspray... (consequently we mainly use outdoors)]
- Krud Kutter is the best water based cleaner/degreaser we have found [no volatile fumes from solvents- but is still smells a little funky to us... ]
- Manufacturer's Info [There are many specific types of Krud Kutter]
- Oil Eater [The absolute best stuff for cleaning up oil spills on the boat, and cheap!]
- Dawn liquid dish detergent [We wish they had an unscented version...]
- White Vinegar [Grocery store vinegar is 3% acetic acid. You can buy concentrated versions...] to reduce storage requirements by making your own batches of 3% by adding water. e.g., 30% Vinegar; add 1 part to 10 parts water for a 3% solution for general cleaning and cooking.]
- Read this discussion about concentrated vinegar
- Buy food grade and dilute to 3% if you plan to use in food
- The link above is for non-consumable garden grade vinegar
- Concentrated bleach [Not the grocery store variety... 1 gallon can dilute to make 100 gallons of grocery store bleach.... good for cleaning stubborn deck stains, mold and mildew on non-fabrics, etc. Very caustic!]
- Stains on fiberglass:
- Baking Soda
- Starbrite Rust and Stain Remover [Safely and easily removes rust stains from our AwlGrip painted hull and deck]
- White vinegar [See concentrated vinegar info under Cleaning/Degreasing, above]
- Neutra Sul HP41N Professional Grade Oxidizer [shelf stable 7% hydrogen peroxide]
- For treating previously treated potable water for hydrogen sulfide odors and iron contamination.
- Also removes vestiges of bleach after sanitizing with bleach.
- Manufacturer information
- Bleach [We carry a concentrate that makes 50-100+ gallons from 1 gallon...]
- 1 tsp of 5.25% sodium hypochlorite [unscented household bleach] in 50 gallons of water yields ~ 2ppm [the minimum concentration for sanitizing...]
- We use up to 6ppm in potable water for sanitizing water ,tanks, and plumbing.
- Practical Sailor article with detailed instructions for sanitizing water systems.
- Sporicidin [Removes mold, stains, and odors; bacteriostatic for 6 months. Used in hospitals. Available in concentrate. Look for unscented.]
- Oxyclean [unscented; with your detergent of choice- also add borax or Calgon [above] for strong odor removal]
- Also good for other cleaning chores- including sails...
- Add 1/2 tsp to composting toilet urine jug to eliminate odors and scale
- Detergent of choice [we use HE non-scented detergent with our front-loading washer]
- White Vinegar [see info above about concentrate; dilute to use against certain odors]
- Ammonia [Great in super greasy loads...]
- Pre-stain treatment: Shout and/or Resolve Stick [Oxyclean also makes a pre-stain treatment, but we cannot stand the perfume odor- which doesn't go away after washing...]
Toilets, Shower Sumps and Sink Drains
- Raritan CP [Bio-enzymatic cleaner; shop around as pricing varies]
- Keeps the shower sump and sink drains crud free too...
- Marine Digest It Enzyme [Excellent for dissolving scum, clogs, liquifying contents, and eliminating odors. Use regularly per instructions. 1 bottle lasts us 6+ months. Safe for pets.]
- TUF-ENUF BILGE Natural Bilge Cleaner bacterial bilge cleaner [Eats oil, fuel, etc. Deodorizes. Pricing varies. ]
Mold and Mildew Control
- Best at removing stains and initial control: Starbrite mildew stain remover
- Heavy duty removal and control: Sporicidin [Removes mold, stains, and odors; bacteriostatic for 6 months. Used in hospitals. Available in concentrate.]
- Long term, economical, non-volatile and non-toxic control: Concrobium Mold Control
- SunPac mildewcide and mold inhibitor [For uninhabited spaces. e.g., long term mildew prevention in boat, vehicle, camper, etc. when away for extended periods. Area must be ventilated with fresh air before occupying. [Paraformaldehyde has no detable odor, so leave yourself a note in the treated space...]
- Related Resources:
- Rust Prevention:
- Tools and spare parts:
- Rust removal:
- Also great for removing stubborn stains from fiberglass... [rinse immediately...]
- Starbrite Rust and Stain Remover [Safely removes rust from our AwlGrip painted hull and deck. ]
- Spotless Stainless [removes rust stains from stainless steel, and re-passivates the surface to help prevent rust and stains; Manufacturer info]
- Loostening frozen fasteners: PB Blaster
- e.g., loostening stainless steel bolts stuck in aluminum; rusty engine bolts, etc.
- Corrosion and seizing prevention: