November 8, 2019

Friday Funny 11-8/19 (Friday NOT Funny part 2)

I'm getting in on the trend for remakes, and reusing old fashion for new again.




This is my new/old fashion statement.

The dreaded crutches are back out of storage.

I've been having some pain in my right knee, (not the broken leg side), and I'd been diagnosed with mild arthritis. I was walking up the steps at our Post Office, and as I was stepping up to the top step, my knee buckled out from underneath me. I grabbed the hand rail to keep from falling, and found that my knee wouldn't support any weight. Very slowly I hobbled back to the car, called Bill, and asked him to meet me in the marina parking lot with my walking poles. I ended up needing more support than the poles could provide, so out to storage we went, and picked up my crutches. Ugh. After that, off to the ER, where like "Cheers", everyone knew my name. 


I have some painkillers, and some PT scheduled, and hopefully I won't need another trip to Orthopedic Physicians of Alaska. I think I could ask for a frequent customer punch card. "Have 10 surgeries, and get 1 free!" Or perhaps at the ER, "Have 10 visits, and receive a free bed pan!"

I'm supposed to be helping out at our museum tonight with the new exhibit, "Shipwrecks Close to Home".  This is what I was planning on writing about for today's post, but writing yesterday just didn't happen.




Triple deadeye from the Star of Bengal. (Rigging)


Princess Sophia was the worst wreck, all 344 crew, and passengers perished, then Star of Bengal, of 110, only 27 survived, Princess Kathleen all 425 crew, and passengers were saved, and the Mariposa, all 265 crew, and passengers survived, but they lost 25,000 cases of salmon, and 1200 tons of ore.



This is a traveling exhibit from the State Museum in Juneau.

"Friends of the Museum",  decorated the convention center yesterday, and are providing wine,  hor dourves, and two speakers who will talk about the shipwrecks.  

Most of you know how much I love history, I was hoping I could get off of Denali Rose, and  make my way up the dock, and ramp. It's pouring rain, (big surprise), the docks are slippery, and the muscle relaxers have taken effect. Unfortunately, it sounds like too much for me. I'll just have to wait to find out the stories behind these four ships. 

At least I got a sneak peak yesterday! 

From the Nolan Center Facebook page.
Notice I'm upright just fine, I went to the PO after I helped out.



As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]