November 23, 2018

Friday Funny 11-23/18 (Doin' My Civic Duty)

Free cookies are usually good.

Yep, I got a card in the mail last week, it said I'd been selected for jury duty for the YEAR of 2019. What the heck... a whole year? I was advised to go online, and fill out my juror questionnaire, and it was there, I found out I could request which three month term to serve. Whew, I requested January/February/March, which means I'll be tied to the dock for the whole time, so I can do the "call-in" thing. I haven't heard back yet whether it's been approved. I can't imagine how torturous it would be to have to serve anytime April through September, prime cruising months here in Southeast Alaska.

Wrangell Island, Alaska

Downtown City dock.

According to the last census, Wrangell has about 2300 people living on the island, and there's only about 14 miles of paved road, so we're  concentrated on the northeast corner. It might be hard to get a jury of twelve unbiased people who are not your friends or family. I was curious about who was our local judge, and according to the Alaska Court System website, we share one with Petersburg, and Kake. 

Before we moved to Wrangell, we subscribed to the local newspaper, The Wrangell Sentinel,  to get a feel for the town. We chuckled when the police report described a dead seagull in someone's yard, someone fell in an alley behind a bar, and couldn't remember how he got there, and the usual routine traffic stops. After we moved Denali Rose here, we've learned about some of the more serious crimes, not all of them get published, and you know, small town, word gets around.



I won't mind serving, it's another chance to be productive, and get some more projects completed on Denali Rose, while at the dock. The State notifies the dates of service by postal mail, which doesn't make sense to me, since we had an online survey, I don't get why they can't email me. I'll be anxiously awaiting the results of my request.


As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]