June 23, 2017

Friday Funny 06/23 (Cracked Window)

Nope, not this kind of cracked window.

Windows might be cracked, (or crack?) for some, but not for us. We use Apple/Mac products on Denali Rose. I know others may argue that decision with us, but it's our preference. Case closed.


Not this kind of cracked windshield either.

The front windows in our pilothouse are made out of tempered glass, and are very strong. They would protect us in the event of a large breaking wave over the pilothouse. That's called taking on green water. If any of them were to crack, we would have to replace it immediately with boat bucks. (B.O.A.T. = Break Out Another Thousand)

See that etching, (amidst the raindrops), that means the window is certified tempered. All of the windows have that etching.

Buh Bye scale.

We have a scale onboard, but I don't know where it is, and I don't want to know. We know what clothing fits, and what doesn't, and we're working on that. The swear jar is not a good idea either, well.... because:



Here's the cracked window I AM talking about. I might have said a few of those swear words when I did it.

I taped it closed.

This is the center front window on the dodger. (def: dodger, also known as a spray hood, is an enclosed structure that protects your cockpit from harsh weather. from Sailrite.) 

We were anchoring this past winter, in the dark, and I had to open this piece to see the hand signals that Bill was using to tell me what to do at the helm. It was cold, and I heard it crack.

We are planning on replacing the whole dodger assembly, but we're not going to get to it this summer, unless, all we want to do is work, and not actually use our boat to go somewhere. So I was thinking... I know, a bad sign. We really can't see out the front, it's old, cloudy, and damaged. I thought that maybe I could take off the front piece and just replace the vinyl window for now. I'm a little afraid that I won't get the right dimensions, or the proper stretch, and then it won't fit the frame anymore. We had someone else put on a leather rub strip, and it totally tweaked the fit. I had to move all of the zippers in order for it to be reinstalled. What a pain! This time, I'm planning to not use any zippers, just one full vinyl glass window, so less margin of error. (optimistic thinking)

I'm ordering my supplies today, so add another project to my list. Hopefully it will have a positive outcome.

FYI, one piece of the medium grade 54" x 110" is $178.95. That's why spray suntan lotion, bug spray, or anything chemical next to these windows is strictly forbidden. I only use the IMAR cleaning line, as recommended by "Practical Sailor" magazine, and the purple microfiber towels are the only ones that are allowed to be used to clean and wipe.

The best absorbent microfiber ever! I get them from FlyLady.


As always, we enjoy hearing from you, either here in comments or on our Facebook Denali Rose Sailboat page.

6 comments:

  1. I really do admire your courage taking on a project like that. I have no idea when our canvas will be replaced. Because it won't be done by me. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be newbie ignorance that leads me to think I can pull this off, since I'm still in the throes of creating the new main sail, and mizzen sail covers. I did what I thought was final fitting yesterday. No joy. It's a topic for a future blog post, oh the saga. Thanks for good luck wishes, I need it.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the project. It's one of those I'll have to tackle one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good luck, I'm sure I'll need it. You'll probably be learning from my mistakes, and the inevitable, " I wish I had done it differently" thoughts.

      Delete
  3. Ummm, when you're finished with yours . . . . ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how it turns out! You might not want me anywhere near your boat. ;-)

      Delete

Because of spammers, comments may be moderated [and 'Anonymous' are usually deleted...] so please be patient if they don't appear quickly... We are cuisers. Sometimes it may be days— even weeks— before we have internet access. Even Elon's... [Don't feel sorry for us... It's intentional...]